Foster parents must meet the minimum licensing requirements set by the state of Washington. As a Counsel of Accreditation (COA)-certified agency, Friends of Youth upholds strong standards of excellence and has some additional requirements. A licensor assists applicants through the licensing process, which includes:
- Initial 2-3 hour interview
- 30 hours of pre-service training, including an overview of the foster care system in Washington state
- Background checks for all individuals over 16 in the household
- CPR / First Aid certificate and HIV/AIDS Training
- Physical examination
- TB test
- Paperwork including autobiography, family history and references
- Proof of car insurance; copy of driver's license
During the process, a home inspection is conducted by a licensor to check physical aspects of the home, including safety issues. For more information about requirements and training for foster parents, please contact our recruiter Paul Tan. Additionally, the Washington State requirements are available on the DSHS website.
The PRIDE foster parent training schedule is available here.
Become a part of our therapeutic team:
Foster Home Recruiter and Licensor
Susan Minyard (425) 228-5776 ext 129